Sunday, August 05, 2007

Psalm 23

I have preached a lot of sermons in my life, but I don’t think I have ever preached one on Psalm 23. That seems sort of odd now that I think about it . . . maybe I have been avoiding it? Maybe I hear it too often so preaching about it seems boring.

Maybe it was because I am afraid of that first part. The Lord is my shepherd, I SHALL NOT WANT. The not wanting part is tough for me, because I still want. I still want stuff in this world like titles and money and a better car and whatever else I know I probably should not want.

Today we will talk about how the Shepherd calls us not to want. Mark

1 The LORD is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
3 He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD
Forever.

(NKJV)

No comments: