Sunday, May 20, 2007

God’s Will—Character and Service

First I was a Bible major. Then I was a Bible-Psychology Double Major. Then it was just Psychology. Finally, I graduated with a degree in Political Science, only to start working at a bank. After a couple of years at the bank, I went back to school to certify to teach. I taught for six years, and then switched to the very similar career of diplomacy. Along the way, I've worked in a poultry processing plant, sold photography packages over the phone, managed political campaigns, served as a Marine Corps machine gunner, made salsa, and received a commission as a Navy Reserve Public Affairs Officer. And I still don't really know what I want to be when I grow up! On the bright side, I do know whose I want to be.

There are a lot of important questions in life: What should I study? What should my career(s) be? Who should I marry? Do I want fries with that? For Christians, there is one overriding question: What is God's will for me?

Paul examines this question in Romans 12. He writes about God's will for both our character and our service. Everything else flows from those two concerns. If you are first concerned with God's plan for you as a person, then you can move on to determining if you should work in a chicken factory, an office, a restaurant, or a fox hole - and if you want fries with that.


Dana Deree

No comments: