Sunday, September 10, 2006

Lake Break

Out and about running errands with a “to do” list repeating in my head, I realized this had to stop, even if just for 10 or 15 minutes. The day was beautiful, with the kind of weather Northern Virginia hasn’t seen for awhile, and the lake beckoned.

On the drive there, I began to consider the tasks I could get done while sitting on the dock: make entries in the checkbook, maybe pay some bills, or even catch up on some reading. Then I realized I would be missing the whole point of the outing. I needed to stop, do nothing, unplug, and be still.

How busy we can get and forget to take time to be quiet, especially to be quiet with God. In the midst of my hectic day (probably self-induced if I am honest), I needed communion with my Heavenly Father.

Getting closer to the marina, I was almost surprisingly excited. Imagine . . . time to do nothing but enjoy the presence of God surrounded by His creation! I parked my car, followed the path through the trees, and walked up the ramp of the dock.

When I was just a few wooden planks beyond the metal ramp, I heard a familiar rustling of leaves overhead and noticed a quickening dance of waves. Almost involuntarily I closed my eyes as the soft wind lifted loose strands of hair from my face. The delightful breeze lifted as well the stress I had been feeling. For a moment, however brief, I understood “peace.” I couldn’t help but give thanks for this much-needed, gentle gift from God.

Opening my eyes, I looked to the tree-lined shore across the lake and then up at the blue sky. Lastly, I let my eyes take in the silver bits of sunlight glistening on the water’s surface. Such awesome beauty in deceptively simple things: earth, air, and water . . .

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature---have been clearly seen, being understood from what was made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)

If I had continued my day the way it had begun, I might have accomplished more of my “to-do’s” but I would have missed so much. I hope this week you find opportunities to stop whatever you’re doing, be still, and enjoy being with God.

CTL

No comments: